Saturday, April 19, 2014

Chopsticks Fiddlesticks

I am beside myself with joy today. Last evening we were able to dine at our local teriyaki restaurant and I was able to use chopsticks! Hurrah for warmer weather!

During the cold months of fall, winter and early spring my thumbs simply don't work well enough to even attempt such a feat. Trying to eat with those harmless little wooden or molded implements turns my meal into a round of fiddlesticks with me the obvious loser.

Have you ever fumbled, then flipped a chopstick through the air just to have it embed itself into a wall merely inches from someones face? Truly humiliating, believe me. 

Humiliating that it happened, not that I missed!

Chopsticks were never designed for dagger type throwing events.

Since I grew up eating Asian food with chopsticks, has it never seemed right to me to consume such meals with a metal fork. As to asking for a pinyin or chirirenge (soup spoon of china or porcelain), I'd much rather go hungry than resort to using a baby's utensil. Yes, I know - I'm a rice snob. Gotta have those sticks.

Which leads me to my euphoric meal last night. My thumbs are working! Though not as strong as in my youth, which includes all the days prior to my forty-fifth birthday, these opposable digits at the ends of my upper extremities are a very valued addition to my daily repertoire. 

Welcome back, Dear Thumbs!

No comments:

Post a Comment